Reading this Week
Posted on by Bob Matyas
Here's some web development articles that I have been reading over the past week.
- What Does it Mean to Be “Full Stack”? - A nice article by Chris Coyier about what it means to be a full stack developer in 2019.
- Best Free Form Builder Plugins WordPress 2019 - I thought maybe I was the only one who found the state of WordPress form plugins to be exceedingly frustrating, but apparently not. Some good suggestions in here for plugins for a task that really shouldn't be as frustrating as it is...
I have found that I'm much more inclined to work on my front-end skills if I have some plausible scenarios to work on and/or a specific project, otherwise I get stuck trying to come up with ideas rather than coding. The following are some nice resources for practicing your skills:
- Frontend Mentor - Definitely my favorite, this site offers a number of challenges and has an active community around it.
- Brief Box - More design than development oriented, but it offers a bunch of prompts for design exercises, some of which are websites.
- Symu - This site gives users PSD files of designs for various websites. You can then code the sites from the mocks.
Random Design Stuff
- Should I Use A Carousel? - A snarky take on an all-too-common design pattern.
- Can't Unsee - A nice quiz-formatted resource for learning basic UI/UX concepts.