Fixing Broken Images in Gatsby
Posted on by Bob Matyas
A little over a month ago, I moved this web site to a new platform using GatsbyJS. For the most, it’s been an awesome switch! Gastby allows to me to write in React and generates a highly optimized production build that can be hosted on any number of different static hosts. It’s a great setup and in a lot of ways exemplifies the power of the JAMstack.
However, there have been a few small headaches along the way. One of which has been GraphQL, which I had no prior experience with. Gatsby relies on GraphQL to generate much of the content. For example, images are queried using GraphQL. Thankfully, the docs are pretty easy to follow and within a reasonable amount of time I was able to setup a page that auto-served images in WEBP format to compatible browsers, lazy loaded them, and blurred them up to high quality once they come into the view port – all of which you can get out of the box. These performance-enhancing features were one of the main reasons I chose Gatsby, so it was exciting to get it working without too much difficulty.
Still, as I was developing the site, I had an issue where if I changed one of the images the new image wouldn’t load in development mode. After lots of playing around and double-checking to make sure that yes, I did save the image in the correct spot, I was at a loss. Especially when seemingly by magic the next day the images were loading as expected.
As I thought about it more, I realized that the images seemed to be cached somehow and that the cache was not being rebuilt when the local image files changed. There had to be a way to delete that cache and rebuild it – thereby fixing the broken images. A few minutes of searching and I came across the command:
The docs described it as “a last resort when your local project seems to have issues or content does not seem to be refreshing” – which definitely described my situation. The command deleted the “.cache” and “public” directories and the next time I ran the Gatsby in development mode, the broken images were fixed!